I love having chutneys in the house and will have one or more lying around at any point in time.
A couple of weeks back, while making veggie burgers with my Mixed Veg Kofta recipe, I played with this recipe and found one that suits me! Don’t be fooled with the name, though its made from red chillies, it’s not as fiery as the name suggests.
This chutney is made from fresh, largish red chillies which are not spicy. I suspect they will be very nice with red peppers also, though I’ve not yet tried them with them.
Fresh Red Chili Chutney
- 1 cup fresh red chilies, chopped into large chunks
- 2 onions, chopped into large pieces
- 10-12 cloves of garlic
- 1 large handful of raisins, soaked in warm water for a while
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tbsps lemon juice
- In a blender, using the water used to soak the raisins, blend all the ingredients except the salt and lemon juice.
- Use water sparingly to keep the chutney thick.
- Add salt and lemon juice and blend till you get the consistency you want.
This chutney is amazing with bread and also goes very well with chats and and any fried food like samosa, pakoras etc. The chutney was not very spicy and the raisins helped cut the spice factor even more. If you can take a lot more spiciness, you can reduce the amount of raisins, or increase the chili amount.