The other day S brought a whole peeled pineapple to eat. We ate around a third of it and then I was left wondering what to do with the rest of the pineapple. I usually make a pineapple onion raita with pineapple, but thought I should do something different with it. I then tried this pseudo-Thai Pineapple Rice and it was yum!
This pineapple rice is inspired by the Thai one but is Indianised as I am wont to usually do. I also tried to make it slightly healthier without the addition of any coconut milk.
Pineapple Fried Rice
- 1.5 cups basmati rice, washed and soaked in water for 20 minutes, then drained completely and kept aside
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- ½ cup of pineapple chunks chopped into medium sized pieces
- 2 tbsps raw peanuts
- 2 tbsps cashew nuts
- 1 green chilli, chopped into smallish slices
- 1-inch piece ginger julienned
- 1 tsp garlic paste or finely minced garlic
- ½ carrot chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsps frozen sweet corn
- 2 tbsps frozen green peas
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- Coriander leaves and chopped green onions to garnish
- Cook the basmati rice and when cooked, spread it on a large plate and cool completely.
- In a pan heat the oil and when the oil warms up, add the garlic paste and ginger juliennes and stir for a couple of seconds. Then add the green chillies and let them cook for a few seconds.
- Now add the raw peanuts and cashew nuts and let them brown.
- Add the onion and let the onions cook till they become translucent.
- When translucent, add the carrots, green peas and corn and let it cook.
- Now add the pineapple chunks and let the pineapple slightly caramelised.
- Add salt to taste and let it all cook for a few minutes.
- Switch off the flame and add the rice and mix well.
- Check for seasoning and serve hot garnished with coriander leaves and chopped green onions.