Another recipe I made during the nine days of Navratri when I do not use either onions or garlic in my cooking. Again I replaced onions and garlic with a cashew and sesame paste and we did not miss the onions at all. This was a very quick recipe and I made it in less than 30 minutes, start to finish.
No Onion, No Garlic Matar Paneer
- 1 cup frozen paneer, refreshed in hot water for 15 minutes and then drained. Keep the water for the gravy
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 8-10 cashew nuts, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 3 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin seed powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 3-4 tbsps beaten yoghurt
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsps oil
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Blend together the cashew nuts and sesame seeds into a fine paste and keep aside.
- In the same blender, chop the tomatoes and blend well till it becomes a fine puree and keep aside.
- Heat the oil and when warm, add the cumin seeds. When it starts to splutter, add the cashew nut, sesame paste and let it fry for a minute. Then add the tomato puree and let it fry for a minute.
- Now add all the dry spices – turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt and garam masala and stir well. Add a bit of water if needed and let the masala fry well till the oil starts to come out and it becomes a bit dry.
- Now add around 1 cup of water (here, add the water used to soak the paneer and the cashew nuts) and let it come to a rolling boil.
- When it starts to boil, add the frozen peas and let it continue to boil and cook. The peas should be cooked in around 5-7 minutes and at this point add the paneer.
- Let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- Check for salt and seasoning and add as required.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or any rotis.