One weekend, when vegetables were low and I was bored of making the same dishes all the time, I decided to make something different. So I found this mixed dal recipe from Tarla Dalal and made it with some slight tweaks, based on what I had available in my pantry.
Spicy Mixed Dal
- 2 tbsps split yellow moong dal
- 2 tbsps urad dal
- 2 tbsps chana dal
- 2 tbsps toovar dal
- 2 tbsp whole green moong dal
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 5-6 cloves of Garlic
- 1-inch piece of Ginger
- 4-5 fresh red chillies
- 2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsps (more or less) red chilli powder
- 2 tsps coriander powder
- 2 tsps cumin powder
- 2 tbsps Ghee or oil
- 1 cup of beaten yoghurt
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Wash all the dals. Soak them in hot water for 20 – 30 mins and then cook them in a pressure cooker along with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder until mashed well.Allow the steam to escape and then open the lid.
- In the meantime, blend the ginger, garlic and red chillies into a smooth paste and keep aside.
- In a small pan, heat the ghee and add the cumin seeds, then the onions and saute till the onions are slightly translucent.
- Now add the ginger, garlic, chilli paste and saute till the oil starts coming out.
- Then add the tomatoes and the dry spices (remainder of turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder) and saute for a while.
- When the oil starts to come out, add the yoghurt and stir continuously on a medium flame till the mixture comes together.
- Pour this gravy into the cooked dal and mix well. Check for seasoning and cook for around 10 minutes till the dal is completely mashed and mixed well.
- Season with coriander leaves and serve with any rice or roti.