When you are tired of making the same old food every day and you wish to try something new, this recipe is something you can make. This is exactly what happened the day I made Carrot Rice. We were bored of the same food day in and day out and so I decided to make this dish my mum used to make when we were in school.
This is a very easy dish to make and makes a great addition to your lunchbox or even to your little one’s school lunchbox. It’s very easy to make and hardly takes anytime in the morning when you are rushing to get everyone out of the house on time!
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 cup rice, cooked and cooled completely
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- a handful of chopped cashew nuts
- a handful of raisins
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- coriander leaves to garnish
- 1 tbsp Ghee or oil
- When the rice is cooked, fluff it a bit and then let it cool completely.
- In a pan, heat the ghee or oil and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds pop, add the asafoetida and the chopped chillies and let them cook for a while till the chilli becomes crisp.
- Add the chopped cashew nuts and let them brown.
- Next, add the raisins and let them plump out.
- Now add the carrots and salt and cook for a couple of minutes. You don’t want the carrot to cook too much, but retain some crispness.
- Switch off the gas and add the lemon juice according to taste.
- Stir well and then add the rice and mix well so that the carrots are completely mixed into the rice.
- Check for seasoning and then garnish with coriander leaves and serve with a raita, yoghurt or even some chips or crisps.