This is my take on a super easy my mum makes for my dad. My mum makes this very often at home and so I decided to tweak it a bit. I made it as a no onion, no garlic recipe, but feel free to add both to your version.
No Onion, No Garlic Mixed Vegetable Rice
- 1 cup cooked basmati rice
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 potato, chopped
- 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger, julienned
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mango powder
- 1.5 tsp biryani/pulao masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- Wash all the vegetables and keep aside
- Cool the cooked rice and fluff it in a plate and keep aside
- Heat a large pan and add the oil
- When the oil heats up, put in the cumin seeds and let them pop. Then add the carom seeds and let that pop too.
- Now add the ginger and let it fry for a few seconds before adding in the bell pepper.
- Then add the turmeric, chilli, coriander and cumin powder and stir for a second
- Now add all the vegetables (except for the spinach) and sauté well.
- Cover and cook until the vegetables are almost done.
- At this point, add the spinach, salt, mango powder, biryani/pulao masala and cook till the spinach wilts and the spices are well incorporated
- Now add the cooled and fluffed rice and mix well, so the rice and vegetables are mixed thoroughly
- Check for seasoning and serve with a raita of your choice
- You can serve the recipe at the point before adding the rice as a sabzi which goes very well with Indian breads
- If you want to add onions and/or garlic, add them at the point when you put the ginger in the oil