This is another staple dish in Tamil households which I tweaked slightly this week to make it different.
Spicy Vermicelli Upma
- 1 cup vermicelli, dry roasted
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp pav bhaji (or garam) masala
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- 1 tbsp ghee (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan and when it warms up, add the mustard seeds and let it pop.
- When the mustard pops, add the curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric powder and stir for a couple of seconds.
- Add the onions and saute till translucent. Then add the remaining vegetables and saute for 1 minute.
- Season with salt, chilli powder and pav bhaji masala and let the vegetables cook completely.
- When the vegetables are done, add the roasted vermicelli and stir well.
- Add enough boiling water to the vermicelli and cook it well.
- When the vermicelli is cooked completely, check for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Add the optional ghee to the dish and switch off the gas.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the dish and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
- Instead of pav bhaji masala, you can also use garam masala or any other masala lying around.
- To make a Jain version of this dish, omit the onions and garlic and cook as above.