Earlier this week was Avani Avittam, the only festival dedicated to men in Hinduism (or rather tambramism) and since it was BB’s first one, we had to go down to the temple for a special prayer and then the next day was the recitation of the Gayatri Mantra. This sacred mantra is said to be the root mantra and it is said that reciting it 1008 times is said to be very beneficial.
On Avani Avittam, I made my Vermicelli payasam and the day of Gayatri Mantra, I made this easy Aval payasam or Poha Kheer. It’s a simple dish that can be made in less than 30 minutes, start to finish so even an FTWM can make this on a festival.
Aval Payasam/Poha Kheer
- 1 cup poha
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-litre full cream milk
- a handful of cashew nuts
- a pinch of saffron
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsps ghee
- In a pan heat the ghee and fry the cashew nuts and once brown, keep aside.
- In the same pan, fry the poha till they slightly turn brown and at this point, add half the milk. Let the poha absorb the milk and then add the remainder of the milk.
- When the milk comes to a rolling boil, let it boil for another 5 minutes until the poha is soft and has completely absorbed the milk
- Add the sugar, cashew nuts, saffron and cardamom powder and let the kheer boil for another five minutes.
- The kheer is ready to serve. Drink hot or cold, though we prefer to drink it cold!