Nothing much here except that we finally got the clearance for GG’s subjects and she signed the paper indicating the subjects. We also brought her new books. I still don’t understand one thing though which is that the school has still not released the class lists for the year. It’s going to be total chaos on the first day of school with new Sec 1’s and Sec 3’s trying to figure out which class they are in.
I also went to help out in BB’s school with the open house and spoke to new potential parents which was an interesting experience.
I guess this is the end for this year’s secondary 2 updates. The new year will bring more updates from a new class!
Last week I was super frustrated that GG’s school did not confirm her subject combination. On Monday we went to both schools to buy uniforms and books, but again I could not speak to the teacher who was handling this issue since they were all out. She later called me and asked me to wait till Thursday since they were doing the appeals for the cohort. I waited and waited for her to call me and then when I called her on Friday it was to know that GG had to go to school that day! We didn’t know about this, but the news was good – GG got the subject combination she wanted! So she will be doing English, Mother Tongue, E Maths, Combined Science, Pure History, Social Studies with Geography, Principles of Accounts (7 subjects in total). We should go tomorrow to school to confirm these subjects and finally buy the books!
GG’s school issues are not yet over! On Tuesday she went to school to find out about her subject combinations for next year and she was told her old stream subject combination (there, she has pretty much gotten all the subjects she had asked for), but her form teacher also asked her to see the Math HOD who mentioned to her that she may have to do a coursework subject since that’s the option available with Pure History. GG categorically told the HOD said she didn’t want to do any coursework subject and wanted to do the subject she had opted for instead. The HOD took that into consideration and said she will try and work out something. GG also didn’t get her holiday homework for the new stream subjects. The HOD was supposed to call and speak to me to explain everything but has not yet done so.
On Friday, GG and I went to her school to see if we could speak to the HOD, but we found all the HODs were in a full-day meeting and we could not speak to them. So I decided to see if we could speak to her form teacher (who was not the one who gave her the subject combination on Tuesday) and after we explained the situation to him, he asked me to send him a message detailing the issue and he will try and help us. I’ve done that and the form teacher has said he has passed it to the relevant people who will get back to me, hopefully, tomorrow. We’re also going to both schools tomorrow to purchase the books and uniforms (for BB as he transitions to full-length pants in Sec 3)
I’m also going to see if we can meet the HOD tomorrow and resolve this now rather than later.
Contrary to what I thought, BB actually got the subjects of his choice! Right until the results were to be declared, we were thinking of all the other combinations he had chosen and all the permutations and combinations about the subjects he would be allocated. I rushed him and we kept refreshing the page.
The school released the results of all the children at the same time by pushing out their class allocations. The first class was the pure science class and as we scrolled down, we saw his name around halfway down the list (the order was alphabetical, with girls coming in first and then boys). We were thrilled and both of us literally started jumping up and down. On checking both his besties in this school are also in the same class! We are beyond thrilled. So BB will do 8 subjects excluding Physical Education and Character and Citizenship Education for his O levels.
We have to wait till Tuesday to see what class GG gets and whether she gets advanced math or not. She will do 7 subjects since she is not going to take Pure sciences. 2019 is going to be a Super hectic year in our household!
School’s out for the year and it has ended with a bang for GG!
We went to GG’s school on Friday for the Meet the Parents session and learned that she came second in class again this year. Unfortunately, she was not given the lateral transfer we were looking for. We spoke to her Teachers who only had lovely things to say about her.
I wanted the transfer because the subjects offered in her stream were not the ones she wanted. She is interested in Humanities, but there were not many options in her stream. When I asked her Teachers if she could cope with a more intense stream, I was assured by almost every one of them that she had a very positive attitude to studying and could easily cope with the increased pace.
As a last resort I decided to see if I could speak to her principal to see if we could appeal for the transfer. Initially her principal was quite resistant to the idea as she had not achieved the minimum overall grade the school sets (this is higher than the grade set my the ministry of education, which was below the grade that GG had gotten). Apparently her name did come up when they discussed promotions, but for some reason she was not offered it. When I persisted, the principal cited her lower science marks as a reason for not transferring her. At that point I told him that she is not interested in science at all and is a humanities student at heart. The subjects she wanted to do (Pure humanities) was only offered at the higher level. When he heard that she wanted the transfer to do humanities, he immediately relented and called her year head and told him to prepare the letter to conditionally transfer her to the better stream! We will get the letter next week and then it’ll be official! Till then it’s all fingers and toes crossed. GG is ecstatic and is over the moon. She’s all fired up to do her favourite subjects and wants to prove to the school that they took a good decision in letting her transfer.
BB, what to say! His year end results have been very average and I am now worried that he would not get the subject combination of his choice. He does seem resigned to it, but I am still hopeful. The results come out next week and we can also appeal for a better result. Please pray for us.
This is as our eventful week this week. Happy Sunday everyone!